Do you want to contribute to creating a sustainable society, and would you like to be part of a new grant awarding area, support excellent research and develop impactful projects?
The Novo Nordisk Foundation is looking for a Senior Scientific Manager with expertise in industrial biotechnology and related fields within life sciences.
Life science research and industrial applications promoting sustainability (Biotech) is one of six newly defined strategic areas in the 2019-2023 Strategy of the Novo Nordisk Foundation. This grant giving area is of great importance for the expansion of research within industrial biotechnology, plant- and food sciences as well as environmental biotechnology. An overall focus for the area is to support research that enables a more sustainable, efficient and reduced use of natural resources. Both specific and interdisciplinary research projects will be part of this grant giving area.
The Scientific Manager will develop the frameworks and help identify exciting areas of interest within life-sciences with a focus on industrial biotechnology and biomanufacturing and through that have an exceptional opportunity to influence research and education.
The Senior Scientific Manager will conceive, develop and execute highly impactful grant awarding activities in collaboration with colleagues and key partners at universities, research centres and companies.
You will as Senior Scientific Manager work with the Senior Vice President to ensure the effective administration, planning and execution of the Novo Nordisk Foundation’s projects. Implement and follow up on open competition grants and strategic initiatives, as well as be responsible for managing the activities in scientific advisory committees.
Your tasks will include:
- In collaboration with the other Scientific Managers in the Novo Nordisk Foundation, develop and implement grants for specific and interdisciplinary research.
- Participate in and support grant assessment.
- Drive, coordinate and follow-up on project progress, target achievement and impact assessments.
- Undertake continuous dialogue with grant recipients, collaboration partners, committee members and other stakeholders.
- Formulate the content of reports, documents and other written material clearly and professionally.
- Prepare or provide input to publications about the NNF’s grant activities.
The Biotech team currently consists of 6 highly qualified colleagues, who appreciate collaboration and support of each other. We hope to find a colleague interested in being a part of the journey and developing the life-science area at the Foundation. We strive to deliver the highest quality and give each other feedback in a trust based working environment.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
We are looking for a Senior Scientific Manager with a Ph.D. degree within bioengineering, microbiology, natural resources or related fields and at the level of senior scientist, associate professor or similar, preferably with experience from basic and applied research within industrial biotechnology. Candidates with experience from industry, government or academia can be relevant.
We expect the candidate to possess:
- Comprehensive understanding of the nature and culture of science.
- Excellent ability to understand, analyze and communicate research results, research projects, and research evaluations.
- Understand concepts, practices, policies, and procedures within industrial biotechnology, plant- and food sciences as well as environmental biotechnology in the public and/or private sectors.
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, especially in English
- Professional, quality-conscious and following tasks to completion.
- Ambitious, proactive, and structured in approach to problem-solving.
- Strong in interpersonal skills and the ability to build good collaborative relationships.
- Able to work well in a team and independently.
Working at the Novo Nordisk Foundation
We offer a committed and professional workplace in which we emphasize ensuring that our colleagues thrive, are challenged and have opportunities to develop their potential. A career at the Novo Nordisk Foundation gives you the opportunity to work:
- on important projects that benefit society;
- with key actors within research and development in Denmark;
- and as part of a dedicated team that is passionate about creating value for society.
Application and Information
For more information, please contact Claus Felby, Senior Vice President on e-mail: CFE@novo.dk or phone: +454089 8932. We encourage you to send your application as soon as possible and no later than 17/04/2020.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and university transcripts by clicking on the “Apply now” button.
About the Novo Nordisk Foundation
The Novo Nordisk Foundation dates back to 1922, and is an independent Danish foundation with corporate interests. Our vision is to contribute significantly to research and development that improves the lives of people and the sustainability of society.
Since 2010, the Foundation has donated more than DKK 16 billion (€2.1 billion), primarily for research at public institutions and hospitals in Denmark and the other Nordic countries. The Foundation gets its income from ownership in the Novo Group companies and more than 80 other life science companies.
In the coming years, the Foundation will broaden its scope and increase its grants for scientific, humanitarian and social purposes. As a consequence, we are a growing organization, which means new job openings and exciting opportunities for employees to be a part of forming the future of the Foundation.
Read more about the Novo Nordisk Foundation’s history, strategy and ownership structure here.