A new position as Professor and Head of Research (50 %) is vacant at the Department of Regional Health Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Southern Denmark (SDU) and at the Psychiatric Department Middelfart, Mental Health Services in the Region of Southern Denmark. The position is for at 5-year period with possibility of extension. Commencement as soon as possible or by agreement.
The professorship is part of a combined position. The other half encompasses the role of clinical development nurse, including related administrative tasks at the Psychiatric Department Middelfart.
The academic position
The successful candidate will be appointed at the Department of Regional Health Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, SDU. The professor will be Head of Research of the research unit Forensic Mental Health (RFM). The position will be within Forensic Psychiatry with specific focus on forensic mental health, forensic mental health nursing, and reduction of coercion in clinical practice. Trans-sectional research and collaboration is expected.
The professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research and publication/academic dissemination
- Supervision of PhD students, postgraduate students and mentoring of senior researchers
- Research management, networking and strategic research management from a clinical perspective
- Teaching, seminars, journal clubs and conferences
- Academic assessments
- Communicating research results in relevant forums so that the results can be used in clinical practice
- Assisting in training and teaching new employees in selected clinical topics
- Teaching postgraduate staff, doctors, nurses and others
- Advising the departmental management regarding research areas
The successful applicant must have nursing background and must be able to:
- Document relevant research activities and original academic production at a high international level and within the forensic mental health field
- Document a PhD degree and associate professor experience
- Document a satisfying degree of relevant research management and experience in research management in clinical practice
- Document a satisfying degree of PhD supervision, teaching, seminar and conference management activities
- Document a satisfying degree of pedagogical achievements preferable on university level
- Document a satisfying degree of research funding over the last 10 years
In the assessment of candidates for this position, attention will be paid to the applicants’ ability to document research publications of high international quality within the area of forensic mental health and the reduction of restrictive practices. Relevant international network, experience in research management, conference and seminar management along with education and primary supervision of PhD students will be preferred. Visionary, strategic and practical applied leadership skills in building up a clinical research unit will be required.
The Mental Health Services has received acknowledgement of high-quality research and education and is part of the University Hospital of Southern Denmark. The Mental Health Services in the Region of Southern Denmark offers assessment, diagnosis and treatment of citizens with serious mental disorders. In close and binding collaboration with the practice sector, the municipalities and the other healthcare services in the Region of Southern Denmark, the care pathway is planned and carried out as expediently as possible.
The Department of Regional Health Research supports research in relation to the person as a whole, the good life and the more common diseases, makes out a platform for scientists and educators and builds a bridge between the University of Southern Denmark, the Region of Southern Denmark, Region Zealand, the hospitals in the two regions and the patient. The department focuses on the continuity of patient care across sectors, hospitals, and specialist fields
The professor will refer to the Executive Consultant at the Psychiatric Services Middelfart Louise Ahrendt in matters concerning the clinical part of the job, and to the Head of the Department of Regional Health Research Rikke Leth-Larsen in matters regarding the professorship.
Further information concerning the professorship can be obtained from the Coordinating Head of Research of IRS-Mental Health Services in the Region of Southern Denmark Elsebeth Stenager, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +45 40288374 or from the Head of the Department of Regional Health Research Rikke Leth-Larsen, email email@example.com, phone +45 3082 7801.
Further information concerning the clinical part of the position can be obtained from the Executive Consultant at the Psychiatric Services Middelfart Louise Ahrendt, email firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +45 9944 8102.
Salary and terms of employment
The successful applicant for the professor position will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
Applications will be assessed by an expert committee. Applicants will be informed of their assessment by the university.
Applications – including the required attachments – must be sent via the link “Apply online”. Only online applications will be accepted. Attached files must be Adobe PDF or Word format. Each field in the application form can contain up to max. 10 MB.
Only applications written in English will be accepted for evaluation.
Applications may be shortlisted.
The applicant must submit the following documents in order to be considered for the position:
- A motivation letter
- A detailed CV
- Degree certificates (including PhD diploma) (combined as one single PDF-file)
- Documented research management experience
- A teaching portfolio detailing the candidate’s prior teaching experience, teaching skills, and teaching philosophy
- A track record in obtaining research funding
- A record of national and international research collaboration and collaborations with researchers in other disciplines and sectors
- A research plan detailing the candidate’s ideas, past, present and future plans for her/his future research work.
- A complete and numbered list of publications
- 10 scientific peer-reviewed publications considered by the candidate as most important for this position. Please notice that one pdf- or docx-file must be attached for each publication.
Danish is not required initially, however, must be mastered within the first two years of employment. In cooperation with the language centre “Lærdansk”, SDU offers specialized language courses. Documented experience as Head of Research, head of large research projects, head of teaching and other administrative jobs will be an advantage. The applicant will be expected to be qualified in academic teaching as associate professor or equivalent.
Incomplete applications with regard to the above-mentioned requirements will not be assessed.
References will be obtained for the applicant who is the first choice for the position – from the applicant’s most recent employer, and from previous employers as required.
Further particulars concerning the application – please see the link below.
Living and Working in Denmark
Foreign applicants will be offered Danish language training as part of the employment. The International Staff Office (ISO) at SDU provides a variety of services for new employees, guests and people who consider applying for a job at the University of Southern Denmark. Among other things, the staff answers questions concerning salary, taxation, housing and accompanying family. For further information on what it is like working at SDU, please read “10 good reasons why you should choose SDU”. Additional information about working in Denmark can be found at Work in Denmark.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Place of work
Psychiatric Department, Middelfart, Denmark
Read the Guideline for applicants.
Antal ledige stillinger: